Friday, August 13, 2010

separation anxiety

I just had another 'Josh is no longer a baby' moment.

I've always had random realizations after I gave birth to Chiyo. Realizations that me think that my eldest, my first 'attempt' at motherhood, my flopped pancake, is no longer a baby. After I got back from the hospital with Chiyo, I took a good look at Josh. Suddenly, he became a little boy in my presence. He was no longer as 'alagain' as his younger sister. My heart somehow sank when it dawned on me. My kuya Josh would not need me as much.

I remember clearly mother's day last year. The guy giving host didnt give him any. I told him coz he's still a baby. He fearlessly declared to me that 'im no baby no more'. That declaration indeed made me realize that he isnt a baby anymore and would have to start treating him like the little boy that he is.

Just yesterday, I was scouting for a school for him. He was insistent that he go with me and that his opinions be taken into consideration. True enough, it seems that he did know what to do. He did know what he wants from his school. Going home from the school, I asked him: 'Josh do you like that school?'. He answered: 'Yes, mama.' When I asked him what he wanted about the school, he answered :'there are toys there.' True enough, there were. And we actually were hoping that he enrolls in a play oriented preschool.

Back to today, I was decided not to allow him to go to the choir/servants outing. I was sure that he'd start crying, endless tantrums and whatever typical Josh behavior when he doesnt get his way. Plus the fact that I'm not with him and his dad would only follow after his own work. (Josh was with my MIL, but still I know the hassle of bringing Josh along and I dont want to subject anyone to that.) Last night when I was putting him to sleep, I already told him that he wont go swimming. Imagine my suprise when he woke me up to tell me he's going swimming! I hurriedly told my MIL that Josh changed his mind and is now going. I accompanied them to the bus and when I was about to leave, told Josh 'Kuya, behave OK? Lala (my MIL) would be the one taking care of you today. Be a good boy, ok?' to which he replied 'yes mama.' I was waving goodbye to him and waiting for the tears to fall when I heard him say:


'Mama, can I have some chips?'.


He didnt even care or feel that I'm leaving him behind. :'( Josh is no longer a baby, I have to remind myself. And sometimes, when I do, remember, I cant help but shed a tear.

Advanced happy mother's day to all moms out there. :)
====================================================================
Originally posted via multiply, May 8, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment